Natural calamities, wars, and pipe breaks are some instances where water supply to your community, office, or industrial settings may be temporarily cut off. It takes several weeks before this water connection is restored. In such scenarios, the concept of survival water storage gains prominence. Although this concept isn’t new, quality water storage has become a necessity more than anything else. With several water-borne diseases raising serious health concerns, the water storage must comply with both EPA and FDA guidelines. This is where Intec America can help. We work closely with government and NGO entities to understand different survival water storage concerns in the country and have developed solutions to mitigate them.
Survival Water Storage Solutions Offered by Intec America
Clean and pure stored water helps meet your daily basic water needs. However, this may always be possible. In the absence of a regular water supply, you may source water from springs, surface waters, wells, or any tanks nearby. The water may not be clean and pure, and may require filtration or sanitation to improve its quality. This is where our following solutions will help.
- Survival Water Storage Tanks: Water stored in inferior quality plastic tanks or metal containers serves as a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses. Clear /opaque tanks tend to develop algae. If stored for a long time, water can leach toxic chemical from the tank materials which can lead to serious health issues. This is why our survival water storage tanks are designed using high-quality, FDA-approved plastic. We can also provide them in other FDA-approved materials. These water storage tanks can be availed in volume sizes 5, 15, 30 gallons. However, we can provide them in much larger sizes on request. Our experts always recommend clients to choose tanks that can store water for at least two weeks till the emergencies are addressed.
- Water Treatment Solutions: Water treatment is integral to survival water storage. Stored water can emanate a foul smell and serve as a breeding ground for microbes, making them inappropriate for use. This is where our following water treatment solutions can help.
- Water Testing Kits: These testing kits are appropriate for freshwater; however, you can also use them for stored water to check the increased levels of chemicals due to accidental contact with some substances.
- pH Control: Water sourced from wells, tanks, or other natural sources may be highly acidic or alkaline. If consumed directly, it may lead to several health issues. Thus, to avoid this, we provide pH controllers, which can set the water value around 7. Our water neutralizing filters have been designed keeping the challenges of survival water storage in mind.
- Reverse Osmosis: The water drawn sources may be contaminated with heavy metals or other impurities. If your water storage tanks are installed in public areas, then there are chances that the water may contaminate due to careless actions of people in the area. If you are sure the stored water is contaminated, then you can rely on our reverse osmosis water filtration systems to throw out metallic substances from the water. These systems have been perfected after years of research and are proven to process large volumes of water. Our Point of Use (PoU) systems are popular and an integral part of several emergency preparedness programs today. These systems are installed under the sink, and feature a sediment filter, pre-carbon and post-carbon filter and a membrane. The membrane removes all impurities found in water; the pre-carbon filter removes chlorine, and the TCR carbon filter improves water taste.
- UV Filtration: UV radiation is known for its powerful action against several types of bacteria and viruses. Our UV filters are designed to remove a high amount of chlorine in water. These devices can also tackle a huge amounts of algae, bacteria, and various types of organisms in the water. Our UV filtration systems emit a short wavelength of radiation between 200 and 300 nanometers that can penetrate the DNA structure of microorganisms.
- Water Softening/Conditioning Systems: Many water sources contain hard minerals, which, if allowed to pass through your filters would damage them in the long run. They would form scales in water heaters, coffee makers, dishwashers, and so on. Thus, water needs to be softened before filtration. We provide water softening and conditioning systems, which help reduce the hardness of water and remove hard minerals before filtration.
- Ozone: Ozone injection and recirculation is trending for a constant supply emergency storage system. We have consulted with various groups and used ozonation over other sanitation methods to keep the water fresh and pathogen free. The water is fed from the source into a large storage tank where the water is turned over and ozonated a minimal of once every 24 hours. If there is an issue with the source, a remote signal is sent to shut off the supply water and the storage tank supply is sufficient to handle 2 weeks of water for all essential applications.
Tips for Effective Survival Water Storage
Survival water storage tanks are a key necessity for any emergency preparedness. However, that is not enough, and you need to make several considerations when choosing the right water containers, filtration systems, and so on. The following pointers will help you understand it better.
- A healthy person uses 1 gallon of water for drinking and sanitation (brushing teeth and sponge bath) every day. Try to store at least 3 gallons for three days of drinking and sanitation. The Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) recommends at least two weeks of survival water storage.
- If you are living in an area that experiences severe humidity and scorching heat, try to store more water for emergencies. This must be followed for water storage in communities and households with sick people and pregnant women.
- Survival water storage tanks have gained prominence in recent years; however, not all tanks are created equal. You can find inferior quality plastic ones, which may be cheaper, but do not assure you pure and clean water. Hence, it is always recommended to choose water storage containers made of FDA-approved materials and fitted with the right lids.
- Do not choose water containers that have been previously used to store chemicals. Although the containers may appear clean, they may still contain some remnants, which may impair the water quality.
- Sanitize the container before storing water. Filter the water before storing in storage containers.
- Label the stored water as drinking water and write the stored date.
- Store filtered water in temperatures between 50 and 70°F.
- Avoid storing these containers in an area where they may be directly exposed to environmental elements.
- Choose the filtration systems depending on the type of water source. You must use a combination of different water filtration systems to ensure a clean water supply.
- Rain harvesting is very effective and Intec can offer guidance for both residential and commercial applications.
Intec America specializes in emergency preparedness solutions. Our vast experience in designing and supplying water treatment solutions for commercial and residential purposes has helped us develop our efficiencies and capabilities in emergency water storage. If you are a house owner or into contingency planning or work for any public or government departments, we can help you. Our experts will work closely with you to provide the most effective solution for your needs. For more information on emergency water storage or treatment, please contact us through email or phone.
Get in touch
Are you ready for a Quote on your Project? Please fill out the following fields to request a quote, get more information or submit a testimonial..
Why Intec America?
Developed by NASA
Intec was the first to commercialize the NASA related research on the ionization technology
Ionization is least expensive alternative for maintaining your pool or spa.
Ionization is chemical free and chlorine free. Intec offers many technologies that are healthier for your family and better for the environment.
Intec has been offering new and innovative technologies to market for over 45 years.